NEA KALLIKRATIA The
village was built in 1922 by refugees from Eastern Thrace. But the area
was inhabited both in prehistoric and in classical times.A prehistoric
settlement has been located in the west of the village and a masterpiece
of sculpture which is kept in the archaeological museum of Thessaloniki
has been found. It is a tombstone, carved in relief, showing a young girl,
holding a dove in her left hand.In 220 B.C. the king of Macedonia Antigonos
Gonatas built Antigonia, at a place naturally protected, 5 Kilometres to
the north of Kallikratia. Soon it developed and became an important town.
It was a target of the Romans during their expedition in Macedonia in 168
B.C. In the 14th century two villages are mentioned in the area, Upper
Antigonia and Lower Antigonia.Three Kilometres to the west of Kallikratia,
there is a seaside village founded by refugees, called Nea Iraklia. This
is where there the priceless silver reliquary, kept in the museum of Thessaloniki,
comes from. It is a small box with reliefs showing images from the Old
and the New Testament. It was probably made in the 4th or 5th century A.D.During
the Byzantine times, there were 5 villages and monastery dependencies of
the Holy Mountain in the area. The modern village, having 2100 inhabitants,
was built on one of these dependencies, the one called "Stomion".
vegetables, fish : Kallikratia has one of the biggest fishing fleets in
The natural stronghold/acropolis of Antigonia.
and silver reliquary, exhibited at the Archeological Museum of Thessaloniki.
44 Kilometres from Thessaloniki and 54 Kilometres from Poligiros. It is
served by buses. There are also taxis, tel.:0399-31007, 31042, and 31432.
NEA PLAGIA The
village was built by refugees from Eastern Thrace, in 1924, after the disaster
in Asia Minor. On this location, there used to be a swamp, and a little
farther, there was a monastery, named Karamani. Along with the help of
the monks, houses were built and gradually the swamp was turned into fertile
fields. In remembrance of the old Plagia the village was called Nea (=new)
Plagia.Today about 1200 people live here. The patron saint of our village
is Saint George, whose icon was brought from the lost homeland.Next to
the village there is a hill covered with pine-trees and a little church,
and four kilometres away, among the ruins of the old monastery, the little
church of "Zoodochos Pigi" (=life-giving source), dedicated to Virgin
Mary, can be found. The village is surrounded by beautiful clean beaches,
while parks with all kinds of flowers beautify the place. All kinds of
shops, super-markets, confectioneries’, pharmacies, taverns, cafes, cinemas,
make life pleasant for both the tourists and the local people.
dedicated to Zoodochos Pigi, on the first Friday after Easter. Celebrations
during summer months organised by the authorities in cooperation
with the Cultural Association. Local dancing groups perform and folk art
exhibitions take place.
melons, water-melons, cabbages, olives and grapes.
3 times a day in winter and every one hour in summer (distance: 1.20’)
From N.Moudania: 3 times a day in winter and every two hour in summer (distance:
0.15’) There is also one taxi that serves the inhabitants and the visitors.